Sunday, February 5, 2012

In defense of knitting when times are tough, part six

I, like everyone else, am aware of reports of slow economic growth. And while the causes are many, when asked for the solution the pundits usually say consumer demand. People need to buy.

What I don't understand is why they don't see that consumer demand--at least as we knew it before the recession--will probably never return. People are scared: consumer confidence is low (for very good reasons), and this is something that probably can and maybe should change. But at the same time, people--from their experiences of the past 3 years--have learned to both want and live with less. I do think learning what we can live without--learning what is really important--is a good thing, and I wish the pundits would acknowledge and address this new reality . . . because I am not sure this will readily change.

But what I have learned is that while I can live without a new car or another pair of shoes or the newest tech gadget, I choose not to live without yarn! My part in the economy's turnaround will be to continue to buy yarn. In this arena, my confidence is high! I know what good every dollar spent will do for my closet, my brain, my well-being. They want me to spend, and I will. If that's my duty as a citizen, I will happily oblige.

See come join me at our LYS! Good times to be had by all!

No comments:

Post a Comment